Monday, October 31, 2011

day 142: juntos somos un equipo de doble... animales

HUZZAH HALLOWEEN!

Goodness, I do enjoy this wonderfully fun holiday.
So last Saturday, I went to Trujillo with my family to visit my host grandpa (on my host mom's side) for his birthday. It was... interesting.

Why the ellipsis?
Because my host fam is pretty legit strange. I'd go into describing all of them and the weirdness that ensued, but  honestly, I don't feel like I should. I really don't know who's reading this! Still the fam was pretty strange and at one point, I had to stand up and give a small speech.

Derp.

Can I just say, first of all, that I'm not very good at giving speeches in English? Let alone an impromptu one in Castellano? Oh, and by the way, I totally have tonsillitis too.

Yea.

So I manage to muster a few words that compliments both the family and him, as well as wishing him a very long and wonderful life. NAILED IT. Minus the fact that it came out in warbled words and I had to stop every few seconds to try and swallow what felt like my tonsils trying to escape from my body.

Minus that part.

Anyway, we had fun and I got to meet more members of my fam before I was whisked away by my uncle in his colectivo to my hostal. My host mom accompanied me the entire way, of course, and even walked me through the doors of the hostal, up to my room and into my room. That was kind of weird. I just took it as her being really "there" for me and taking care of me.

Slept the night and woke up the next morning feeling still icky from the illness but much better than the night before. Was my condition improving? It appeared that way. Popped some ibuprofen to keep the pain at bay before taking a car to the mall. Sat around, had a cup of iced tea (Orange Blossom) and an ice cream cone from McDonald's later. Met up with the other 17er ladies and we went off to shop for our costume things! We ended up finding most of the things needed at the mall, headed back to the hostal to drop off our things and construct!

the pieces after a bit of cutting

assembled!

hola, me llamo ________ y soy... pinguina!

shaking our tail feathers to the tunes of kane west

oversized feet FORCE waddling action.
stay in character!

juntos somos un equipo de doble, ANIMALES.

Being penguins is mad fun. Sadly, I caved into my illness and went to bed a bit early. The others went out and came back with fantastic tales of being mistaken for hora loca and dancing with clowns on stilts. I know, right? Being sick really does suck the fun out of everything.

Still, I had a good time as always. I'm gonna go ahead and say it: La Libertad has the greatest volunteers in all of Peru. No joke. I wish I got to hang out with them more and get to know all of them better, but my usual anti-social self, my overactive brain, and my waning immune system seem to be united against me.

Sad.

Ah well, I'm gonna come out of my shell at some point. As soon as I feel right about it, I guess.

The day after, we had plans to go surfing but here's a fun fact: I'm broke. Literally. Didn't have enough money to pay for my room, barely had enough cash to get back home. So broke, or in the spanish slang, estoy aguja. Thankfully, 17ers got my back and were super generous with spotting me some cash to get me back home.

Jesus Christmas, I need to figure out how to spend money like a responsible adult. Seriously. I hate borrowing money, but I love spending it. LOVE LOVE LOVE spending cash. Not even on things for myself  either. I like spending on other people. I don't know why. It's just something I really enjoy doing. I'll get the next round, buy you lunch, see something that makes me think of you and all I can think about is how awesome this present will make your day.

Sigh.

It's a gift, and a curse.

Ah well, some things you just can't help doing. I just got word, by the way, that I got my monthly allowance today so not so broke anymore! I can pay back my girls, and probably create some sort of safety fund for myself, for those emergency moments...

Alright, gotta prepare for my lecture on bullying at 11am, my english workshop at 4 and presenting my world map project to the committee I'm on at 7. Tomorrow's a day off here (it's All Saint's Day) so I think I might just chill out in Pacasmayo, or maybe head back to Trujillo. We'll see.

Thanks for reading, come again soon!
Peace and Love <3

No comments:

Post a Comment