Friday, October 7, 2011

day 119: so you've been in site for a few weeks now, what is it that you're doing again?

Hola damas y caballeros,

So I gotta make this fast 'cause Peru and Paraguay are playing each other (fútbol, aka soccer) and I wanna go watch some of the game before I go to bed.

I feel like I should give you an update on what it is that I'm actually doing here in site. Now remember, I'm a youth development volunteer coming into a site that has already had a previous volunteer, and I've only been here for a bit less than 2 months. However, the people here are seriously awesome. Except for the creepers who will literally walk in front of me, stop, and cat call while I try to quickly step around them without tripping because I'm rolling my eyes... (don't they have anything else to do?)

Anyway, my schedule is now as follows:
Mondays I will be helping a teacher in one of the all girls Catholic school teach tutoría (which is their course on all things social, like sex ed, family violence, drug use, and so forth). He wants to implement sex ed but has asked for my help in making it interesting by using dinámicas and such, instead of him just giving a lecture. Part of me wonders for how long he's been teaching there (he's young, probably just a bit older than me) and how comfortable he is teaching a room full of teenage girls about sex. For whatever reason, he has called upon me to help and I would like to see if it's possible to implement a pasos adelantes program (it's a program that exists already... I don't know too much about it, so don't you worry your head). I will also be giving English workshops in the afternoon to a younger group of kids (think elementary to middle school). On top of that, I'm part of a committee designed to offer support in the field of education and we will be having our meetings at night. I'm not sure how I can help this group, but I can definitely learn a lot so I'm not going to say anything!

Tuesdays I will be teaching an escuela de padres (school for parents) at the school where I will also be helping with the sex ed stuff. We're going to start at the end of the month, and I'm going to have to prepare a few things on this before hand.

Wednesdays I will be going to another school to help in English classes there, along with tutoría. I also meet with the leadership club in the all girls school.

Thursdays I teach English to a group of adolescents in the afternoon

Fridays I have my youth group of adolescents

Saturdays I have my youth group of younger kids

Sundays I go meet up with volunteers and we chill out and watch football (american football).

This is what I will be doing on a weekly basis for, I don't know how long. The rest of the time is divided between sleeping, eating, preparing for my next meetings/workshops/lectures, running errands like getting paperwork in or signed, random meetings with people who I am working with or are willing to help me, and random things I have been invited to. I am trying to exercise every morning, although sometimes sleep is so much more necessary, and I haven't really been reading as much as I think I should.

Still, a busy life is a good life for me!

That's all for now, VIVA PERU! I'll let you know what else is going on later!! Oh! but also, tomorrow's a volunteer's bday so I'm gonna go visit her for a few hours, come back and go to something I was invited to before running off to my meeting with my youth group before running back to continue in that thing I was invited to and finally, going home so I can prepare for my monday class.

Whew! Awesome.

Peace and Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment