Thursday, November 3, 2011

day 145: it's november!

'Sup amigitos,

So the month of November has made its way towards us, and this means a few things to me:

1. National Novel Writing Month (www.nanowrimo.org) is upon us! I participated last year and got some noveling done. My story from last year isn't finished, as I spaced and stopped writing once the month was over, but whatevs. So the whole point of NaNoWriMo is to write 50,000 words. It doesn't matter if it's good or bad, and editing is not encouraged. Basically, for all of those would-be writers out there who just need to START something, this is it! It's all about quantity, and for someone like me who never quite knows how to expand on her ideas, this is just the charge you need to get your brain juices flowing and thinking creatively. I highly encourage you to do this! Sign up online and friend me : D I know of a few Volunteers who are taking part in this activity, which is great becaauuusssee....

2. We have our Community Diagnostic due! By the end of this month, I need to present a document that details  my diagnosis of San Pedro de Lloc. I tell people I'm in the process of sorting data and things from my surveys, but to be honest- that process sort of fizzled out after month 1... I gotta kick it back into gear and just get it done and over with. It should probably take me a solid week, actually, to write it all up once I get the data entered into my excel sheet. It's just... boring. I'd rather write my novel. Still, the results'll be interesting so I guess I'll have to get through the boring part so I can get to the fun analysis bit.

3. Totally off the theme of writing is Thanksgiving! I'm so elated to know that so many 17ers are coming to join me! yaaaay! Pictures are totally going to be epic, btw. Yea, get excited about that.

4. It's almost December! And December is my favorite month of the year! I should probably wait until at least after Thanksgiving to start blasting the Xmas music but... 

Yea, so that's what's up in November. 

Other quick updates: 
I've got this idea for a youth center in my head, and it's not shaking so I'm gonna see a gal about that. I've also started corresponding through letters with a school in Oklahoma called Noble High. There's a teacher there who I'll be working with, and we're hoping to set up a pen-pal kind of thing with some kids I have in my site. So hopefully this goes well!

I feel so useless right now, though. I just don't feel like I should start any projects around here until the new year. A lot of kids I know are going to be graduating in a little over a month and there's gonna be a new group of kids who I'm going to get to know then as well. Is it bad that I just don't feel like starting something when I know it's not going to last? Sucks, cause the kids would probably really enjoy it, but whaddyagonnado? 

Well, I'm going to go write some more. Here's a short excerpt of my current novel to give you an idea of my fiction writing style. Maybe you can help me with some ideas? I'm not 100% sure where I'm going with this story, but I figure we'll just wait and see :)

ENJOY:
The figure of a small, thin framed boy could be seen crouched on the edge of the roof of an abandoned building. One slender arm was wrapped around his malnourished legs, while the other held tight a smaller figure beside him; dark, brooding eyes scanned the city below. His knuckles whitened under the dirt that covered him as he clenched his legs tightly to his body, pulling the bundled figure besides him even closer, and willing the hunger to subside. He had always been hungry, had always assumed the constant pain in his belly was just a part of him, but he had never gone more than a few days without at least a piece of molded bread to hold him off until he could think of some way to get more.

He had also never crossed The Meek before, either. Now, not only had he not eaten for at least a week, but he also had members of The Meek searching for his fatigued body.

No, not his. They were searching for his sister.

He looked at the swathed figure beside him and gently brushed the matted, gnarly hair of the child. She had been theirs, but he had saved her from them. Now he had to find food for them both.
Another dull throb of pain from his belly swept through him and he clenched his teeth, trying to swallow but finding his mouth too dry to complete the action. He licked his lips to no avail and returned to gazing at the city before him. He had been in hiding these past few days, but he couldn’t just sit there and wait for The Meek or Death to find him. Forcing his hands to unclench, he slowly stretched out his legs and gently shook the wrapped child.

“Time to go, Momo,” he called her gently, nudging the bundle once more, “it’s time to fly.” Large, sleepy eyes peeked out of the ratty blanket and looked up at him. “Ready?”

With a slow thoughtful blink, Emily Crow nodded, unwrapped herself, and settled the sullied cloth around her shoulders. Jackson held out his dirt caked hand and grabbed ahold of hers before they eyed the edge of the roof, took a running leap, and jumped with arms outstretched into the city night.

that's all I got for now!
LOVE AND PEACE Y'ALL
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment