Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 2: 1st official day in Peru!

AHHHHH. TODAY HAS BEEN AWESOME.

So, yesterday was a blur of, as one PCT put it, just a whole bunch of waiting. Waiting to get on the bus, waiting to get on the plane, waiting on the plane, waiting to get off the plane, RUNNING TO GET TO THE NEXT PLANE BECAUSE WE HAVE 3 MINUTES, waiting to get on the plane, waiting on the plane, pacing because the ride from Miami to Peru is 5 long hours but finding the time just passed by super quickly because PCTs are the friendliest and chattiest people to ever exist, waiting to get off the plane, waiting to get through customs, waiting to get on the bus to get to the retreat area, waiting on the bus and feeling weird about it because it feels like I'm still not in Peru yet but in San Diego, waiting to get off the bus, and finally, waiting to get to your rooms because it is now 1am and I'm exhausted.

yea. waiting. lots of it.

And last night, I was so discombobulated and tired that I just didn't notice anything going on. We ended up in our rooms, which are pretty awesome. They kind of remind me of the rooms I had in Guatemala. My roomie and I were in a room with 2 beds and a bathroom. After socializing way too long, we were starving and got sandwiches composed of:

2 pieces of bread. 1 slice of cheese.

and it was the greatest sandwich ever. honestly. delicious.

after that, we went to bed and woke up bright and early, eager to take a shower to wash off the stench of travel. roomie went first because I wanted to stay in bed for as long as possible.

"How's the water?" I ask.
"Not bad," she answered.

I stood in front of the shower, holding my hand out to test the water go from freezing cold to really cold until the guilt of wasting water took over and I braced myself and shoved my head under the running agua. Later, I remarked that I screamed out but my roomie informed me, this was not a fact. Apparently, the screaming was all in my head.

Training went by. We got some cool info, played some silly ice breaking games, met lots of people and etc. You know what? I honestly can't remember exactly what happened. I got my picture taken, I got this super awesome bracelet from the doc, I got moolah, I ate awesome lunch at some point, I learned how to differentiate between fake money and real money (sorta. not really. I'm going to be like an epicenter of fake money. Literal monopoly money. I am going to be the banker of monopoly money. fun fact: apparently, peru is known for its really real looking fake money.)

Now, I'm trying to connect with my family on skype while there's just a few rays of daylight still out but guess what? NO ONE. NO ONE IS ON SKYPE. WHAT. THE. EFF.

Finally get myself some internet aaaannnddd nothing. bah. If my fam decides that one day, they will use skype, then I am going to show them the most amazing mountains, and you know what they're going to see? DARKNESS. because it's night time. I'm going to show them that night in Peru looks exactly like night in cali.

peace.

p.s. please mail me things? mostly pictures of your face. because i have nothing to put on my walls because i'm an idiota who forgot to bring anything that reminds me of home. well, minus the bottle of sriracha, which is worth its weight in gold.


2 comments: