Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 0.5: hours before takeoff

So, I fly to Peru tomorrow. Or rather, in about 8 hours. How weird is that? I went from counting down 100 days ago to 8 hours. This is one of the most surreal things to ever happen to me, except it's REAL. and it's HAPPENING.

Also, I elected myself to be group leader. This delights me to no end, and there really is no reason for me doing so beyond me wanting to say silly things like, "follow the leader!" and "you shall obey the leader!" and etc. Yea, but it's an easy job, I just need to figure out exactly what/who the "bell staff" is and be confused as to why a bell is the title... if you know, please tell me!

So, we need to check out by 8am and be on the bus, to the airport by 8:30am. Our plane isn't until like 1pm or something though and we land in Miami about 2 or 3 hours later. As soon as we land, we're gonna have to book it to our plane to Peru and then we're OFF to Peru galore!

The first 2 days we are in a "retreat" which basically means, I need to make sure I pack enough business casual stuff for 2 days. By the way, I do not own many business casual things. These next 3 months are gonna be difficult, since I own mostly t-shirts and very few nice shirts... I'm going to have to figure out how to buy more. This, I believe, will be difficult as most Peruvians tend to be of a smaller stature and as such, have clothes that do not fit gigantic me.

(fun side anecdote: during the Spanish interview, which is when the PC called me to conduct a little interview to determine my level of spanish capabilities, I basically panicked because the lady on the phone, who was extremely nice and patient with me, asked me about my time in Guatemala. The only thing I could come up about the people, in my moment of total blankness of mind, was that the people of Guatemala were "pequeño"... I honestly meant to say "bajo" for short, but i said "pequeño," which means tiny. TINY. I described an entire group of people as tiny. I don't know what's wrong with me, except that my spanish is the worst.)

The morning will definitely be interesting. I have a last minute letter that I need to post to Cornell so that I can get my Perkins loan partially cancelled (how cool is that? serving in the Peace Corps means I can get as much as 15% of my Perkins loan cancelled per year I serve. Amazing.) and deferred while I'm away. I also need to remember that this needs to be filled out and sent once again next year. I very much doubt I will remember this. Hrm. Let's just hope for the best, eh? I also need to call my dad and remind him to run over to Verizon and put my phone on military hold (another awesome thing). I really hope everything goes smoothly and that all 51 of us make it safely and happily in Peru!

I CAN'T WAIT. MY LIFE IS FINALLY GOING SOMEWHERE. AAAAAAAAAWESOOOME!!

p.s. it is crazy LIGHTNING outside right now and I looooooovvveee it <3 Finally, Washington D.C. is gonna take a chill pill and cool it, cause the muggy weather was too much Louisiana air. You walk through it and it feels like you can eat the air, it's so humid and hot. I'm actually full from all the humidity I devoured.

Oh! And I had my final restaurant meal in America! Fino Italiano on Mth and Washington (or something ridiculous like that. The streets are named by letters. That's the funniest thing ever. If I had a lot of time on my hands, and a hoodrat streak, I would steal the signs and play the most BAMF game of scrabble, ever. Scrabble bit there isn't very hoodrat. I would be a very scholarly hoodrat, who steals vandalizes, steal street signs, and reads Proust. Actually, not Proust. Yet.). I ate a delicious pasta dish, a glass or two of red wine, seafood appetizer, and finished it with ice cream. Yikes. But the Italian man serving us was a sweetheart with the most endearing accent, I couldn't help myself!

Ok, seriously, bed time. I only slept 4 hours last night because I'm insane and insomnia continues to plague me. Still, I manage to function beyond what I believe a person who sleeps as little as I do should be expected to do. Maybe I really am a robot.

One can dream.

P.P.S. I won't have access to my phone after around 3pm tomorrow!! If you text me and I do not respond, please do not be offended. I'm just no longer able to access my cell BUT you should leave me an email or comment here or fb me or something. I'll probably have access to Internet at some point :) LOVE YOU ALL <3

No comments:

Post a Comment