Wednesday, April 23, 2014

the acupuncturist made me cry today...

Had a chat with my med school brosef about all this fasting I'm doing, and his final words were "don't call him doctor. He's not a doctor." lol.

So alrighty. I went to the acupuncturist today. Since this last Sunday, I've been allowed to have one meal (lunch) every day, and two meals juice (breakfast and dinner). My lunch consists of vegetables, fruits, tofu, and/or fish with no seasonings (aka, that pre-fast). I'm to eat until I'm no longer hungry, but stop before I get full. This is terrible for me, because I'm never not hungry. I always want to eat; eating is amazing. Plus, I'm not really a "one giant meal" kind of person. For the most part, I'm just constantly snacking. I probably eat an actual meal meal amount in a few hours, but broken down because I get a bit distracted and am doing other things. If I'm not grazing, I'm probably about to binge because I'm crazy hungry. This happens maybe once every couple of months, when I lose track of time and get really absorbed in something and totally forget to eat. Then I go home and down an entire large cheese pizza in less than an hour. It's terrible, but I'm also kind of impressed by my ability to eat vast quantities of cheese so life moves on.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what exactly one lunch meal consists for me because what I've noticed so far is that I wake up hungry, have some probiotics, vitamins, and omega-3 tablets, and then sip on some juice. About 2-3 hours later, my stomach is about to cave in on itself and I'm counting down the hours and minutes until lunch at 12. I grab an enormous salad with some fruit, like woah that's a lot of lettuce but I eat the entire thing and I'm not full. I'm still, actually, kind of peckish. I should probably get some tofu or fish but for the last few days, haven't been able to. Tomorrow, I'm bringing my own to work with me so I have it on hand and that should help a lot. But anyway, I eat the salad, and eat the fruit, and then about 2-3 hours later, I'm so hungry all I'm thinking about are burgers and hot wings and steak and pho and pizza and empanadas and thai curry and naan and just so much food that I want in my body. But I resist, I keep downing water like I'm trying to drown my cravings until I get home. Once I get home, I get to sipping on that juice again and the feelings quell. And then about 2 hours later, I'm trying to force myself to sleep so that I can wake up and drink more juice cause damn it, I'm hungry...

Now, I think this is good news regarding my metabolism but bad news because I hate being hungry. I mentioned this to the acupuncture dude and he didn't really give me any answers on what to do about it. We did talk about my workout schedule though. I have lost zero weight since last Sunday. I haven't gained anything, but 4 days of eating only 1 meal of salad and 2 meals of juice without weight loss is kind of a bummer. He says that I need to sweat more. He's obsessed with me sweating more. I mean, I get it. I should sweat but cardio doesn't really make me sweat. He's suggested that I do this thing where I wear a long sleeve shirt and sit in my bathtub, filled only up to my belly in water as hot as I can take. Then I get out and wait for 10-15 minutes, during which time my body will start to sweat. I follow it with a shower and apparently, I should still be sweating for a while after that. I told him I'd try it and after a run today (6km) wearing long sleeve underarmour with very very light sweating (maybe it's the dry air?), I went to go do that BUUUUTTT turns out, no one in my family bathes so no one's tried the plug in a while and neither of the bathrooms work. Womp, womp.

I told my dad, he said he'd fix it so I guess nothing to be done until then.

Besides the lack of weight loss and the constant hunger, I also have a rather sore throat (it was cold last night and I woke up with extremely dry mouth, like wow the inside of my mouth felt like numb leather), my jaw hurts when I open my mouth wide, and my shoulders are super tight. When I told the acupuncturist all of this, he had me lie down and put needles all over my tummy, side of my knees, top of my foot, on my face above the jaw, on my neck, and I looked like a pin cushion. All this was fine. A few places pinched but the pain was momentary at best. And then he put some needles on my thumbs.

What.
The.
Fuck.

Look at your left thumb nail. About a centimeter below your nail and half a centimeter to the right of where your nail ends, that's where he put a needle. Try pushing on that with your other thumb nail. It hurts right? Yea, that spot was a freakin bitch. I got no warning, he just puts it in, I cringe at the pain and then it doesn't go away. It gets worse. As I'm cringing, he puts in a needle in both thumbs and I tell him, IT HURTS. He looks at me and asks, "still hurts? Yea, these ones hurt." I can't breathe and I immediately burst into tears, my entire body gets super tight and tense, all the other needles are burning at this point because I can't relax. He immediately takes the needles out of my thumbs at that point and tries to calm me down, and I'm like sobbing. He tells me that he should have explained about those before doing it, but no apologies for making me cry. That's kind of a dick move, but I'm too busy trying to stop crying so I don't say anything. He hands me a tissue and rubs at the spot on my thumb until the pain goes away.

Then I just lay there for another 30 minutes until our session was up and he took out the other needles. The last thing I told him regarding the needles? "Don't ever do that again." So at least that'll never happen again. I sure as hell will make sure it doesn't.

Besides that though, those remaining 30 minutes were fairly pleasant once I got myself under control again. My jaw is still tight but it should go away by tomorrow. It started yesterday and was so bad, I couldn't open my mouth very wide but it got better today so I imagine it should be mostly gone by tomorrow. I don't know about my throat though. I don't know why I'm such a weirdo when I'm sleeping and do these things to myself. Stop it!

Well, I'm really hungry right now and can't stop watching BJ DIVA on youtube, eating massive amounts of food. That, and epic meal time and sorted and maangchi and man food is EVERYWHERE AND I WANT IT ALL THE TIME. Sigh.

I'm also still looking for an apartment for school, but my future roomie found a few potential places so huzzah! Excited! Ok that's all. You have a good week now, ya hear?

Chaufa
-Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment