Monday, November 7, 2011

day 149: get baked (no really, like a cookie or something)

Dear friends,

I am having some major withdrawal. No, not from the usual vices that you may be thinking of (e.g. sex, drugs, rock and roll) but from something that I used to do so much more often back in the states:

Baking.

I love baking. Pies, cakes, scones, cupcakes, cookies, bread, all of it (check out my fb photos if you want some step by step instructions of delicious things I have baked. They're easy steps and you'll totally love me for the recipes). If it goes in the oven, I want to try my hand at it. Which is why, now that I'm living in a house with no oven, I am finding myself rolling around the floor in angst.

What's worse is that it's FALL. It's prime baking season, people. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas- these three months are my favorite because it gave me a chance to bake as much as I wanted without a shortage of ingredients in the stores (spices are always well stocked, as are canned pumpkin puree and molasses).

Now I'm in Peru, where most people celebrate Día de la Canción Criolla instead of Halloween and Thanksgiving doesn't happen. I HAVE TO WAIT FOR CHRISTMAS, which is one of my favorites so at least I've got that. Plus, my site is pretty Catholic so it should be tons of fun.

Still, I need an oven. There are these 'bubble ovens' that exist around here. They're electric, the temperature can't be controlled, but it offers heat! In an enclosed space! That's all I need! Now where to find it...

Tricky.

I'll have to keep looking, I guess.

Another thing I can't find are ingredients. You know baking soda? That thing you buy in an orange box with that bald dude on it? That thing you put in your fridge a few years back and totally forgot about because you don't use it that often and whatever, it's cheap? Yea, you have to buy those in these tiny, mildly expensive packages at the pharmacy here. If I want to bake a cookie, I need to go to the pharmacy. For serious.

All I want to do is bake. I want to cut cold butter (also kind of difficult to find here. It's all spreadable margarine. I don't like margarine. It's crap.) into flour. I want to let dough rise in a warm area. I want to roll out pastry dough. I want to let berries macerate in sugar. I want to whisk butter and sugar until fluffy. I want to glaze things.

I just wanna bake...

SIGH.

So yea, I'm always begging people for letters and packages (to be quite frank, I get really really jealous of other volunteers here who seem to get a package of assorted goods almost every week. I understand why my friends don't send them, since a lot of y'all are working to make a living and sending me a package is too much of a pricey burden, plus when people ask, I don't encourage them to send me things because they could probably use that cash to do other things but that doesn't stop me from being really sad and jealous and really really really wanting ppl to send those packages anyway...)

But for serious. I like getting packages. I know, it seems silly for me to be that ecstatic about getting some candy or spices or baking stuff (like a whisk? anyone?) in the mail, but I DO. And I honestly appreciate it so very, freakin much...

Bah, but it's not necessary. Don't send me anything. Maybe a letter, because I do love letters. Or do? Send me a package! NO don't do that.

Do or don't, I guess is the message...
brought to you by my ever conflicted brain.

Ah well, sorry for turning this blog entry into a begging festival. Won't happen again. Thanks for reading though :) I laugh a lot when I check my blog stats and I'm getting random people from like Russia sent to my blog from some weird website. So for that:

Добро пожаловать на мой блог!


Thank you google translate.

Anyway, hope you weren't too annoyed by my silly plea for unnecessary things. Guess I've just been kind of stressed and lonely lately, and packages and letters are a nice reminder that someone back in the states still remembers that I'm here : /

Hey, also, remember that part? That I'm in Peru? Yea, I totally am. Again, send me your address and I'll write as soon as I can! Plus, Christmas is coming up, and giving gifts is one of my greatest pleasures <3

THAT'S CALLED A BRIBE. SEND ME SOMETHING AND I'LL SEND YOU SOMETHING BACK.

Ahhhh, good times.
Love and Peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment