Wednesday, August 24, 2011

day 75: earthquakes and stolen light

so here's a fun fact,
sometimes my house doesn't have light because there are areas around the center that will steal light for a few moments by digging into the ground, finding the wires, and rerouting them. first of all, that kind of talent should be put to use. secondly, i was well prepared and had my handy dandy flashlight all ready to go. it was just my siblings and me in the house, with phonecalls from the parents to check that they were ok. i grabbed some m&ms, my sis took out some grapes, and we just sat around a candle at the kitchen table and ate/chatted until the lights came back on.

then today, i went to a poetry contest at a school at another site. poetry here was pretty intense, with a lot of theatrical hand waving and voices on the verge of tears. unfortunately, the judges were pretty harsh in the sense that they marked points off for extreme theatrics, focusing on the delivery of the words and less on the acting. makes sense.

i spent most of my morning/afternoon there, got to see another volunteer who lives in the area (after a fiasco of trying to figure out where she lived, and dealing with my rather insistent host mother... i still don't understand why she wanted me to see her so badly but ah well, i won't complain that i got to see one of my 17ers), ate lunch (duck and a pile of rice so high, i could have sworn it was for all of us to share, except we all got the same amount. i ate half of it before i just had to quit), and now i'm back home.

i don't know how to feel about this. i feel like i should be busy, meeting people and places around the area, but as of yet, i haven't. my socios are the ones who are supposed to help me out on that end, but one of them has straight up disappeared from this planet, and the other is my host mom who's taking me along to all the events she goes to.

i'm thinking of just forgoing the "wait for my socio" part of all this and taking hold of the reigns. so here's my new plan:

tomorrow, i will go see the medical post. i don't remember where it is, so it may take me some time to figure that bit out. we'll see. i will also go to church to say hello to the father, and the bakery to say hello to the baker. i wonder if i can hit up the municipality but i have no idea what i would do there... maybe check out vasos de leche and ask if there's anything they're doing? not sure yet.

you know what'd be awesome? if i could speak spanish. that'd be so legit. i think i'm going to go sit around in the plaza and study some spanish from my spanish book. i might also try to go for a run in the morning. i was so going to do it this morning, but my alarm woke me up and i just went... it's still night time, and passed out again.

woops.

anyway, i was saying before that i went to this poetry contest at this school, when suddenly there were these tremors. first one, and then a few moments later, a second one. here's what's funny though: i didn't feel either of them. everyone around me commented after the poetry contest that they had felt something, others chiming in and agreeing. we wondered where it came from, i nodded my head and said that it was strange. but i swear, i felt nothing.

this may be due to the fact that i don't actually sit still much of the time. i'm constantly fidgeting, crossing one leg over the other, readjusting and stretching my back, rolling my shoulders and neck, sitting on my hands then moving my hands onto my lap then playing with my nails, and shifting my weight around the chair just to get comfortable. amid all of this, it's no wonder i didn't feel the floor start to rock and roll. it wasn't a big shake where i was anyway, but it was calculated to be a 6.8 (i believe) and in northern perĂº.

weird.

dear earth,
calmate. en serio.
sincerely,
sue

peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment