Friday, December 31, 2010

from 2010 to 2011. happy new year world!

so in just less than 4 hours, it will no longer be the year 2010 but the year 2011.
2010 was a good year. i mean, i graduated. that's supposed to be a pretty big accomplishment, even if i don't feel like it was at all. still, i have a diploma framed on my wall so it must have been worth something. and my time spent at cornell was definitely one that, if i could, i would repeat. but i would repeat high school as well. does this mean that it was time well spent, or simply that i can't help but enjoy myself wherever i am? perhaps it's a bit of both.

in any case, 2011 is arriving soon and as i am a big fan of resolutions, i think i'm going to set some for myself. mind, i have yet to recall any of my resolutions from the past, though i assume they are all roughly the same. however, i'm hoping that this little bloggy diary thing i got going on will remind me of my promise to myself this year. plus, i plan on making my resolutions actually attainable, so that's pretty nice of me to me.

my resolutions:
1. figure out a timeline for myself. a little wrench was chucked into my plans for my future, so i'm gonna have to figure out how to roll with the punches here and rework my life goals to make up for the hiccup.
2. lose weight. yea yea, cliche, but i figure a min of 10 pounds in a year is really nothing and 100% doable so i might as well stick it in here to feel more accomplished when i give it a little check upon completion!
3. join the PC. here is where the wrench was thrown. i was nominated to leave in feb with a group in health and water sanitation to central/south america but just recently got an email letting me know that i wasn't actually qualified for the position i was nominated for. yea, super. but, as they did warn me during the application process, the PC can basically drop you like a bad habit without any warning at any time. it happens. so in a way, i'm lucky. but my placement officer sounds like a really nice guy and he's been working hard to have me placed somewhere else. he has extended a possible invite for me to leave for francophone sub-saharan africa to teach science except it leaves in june which totally throws me off. leaving in june means that for a full year since graduation, i will have taken no steps towards my future. this, i cannot abide to. still, the PC has been a dream of mine for a long time now and i'm definitely tilting towards accepting the position. which leads me to...
4. get a job. working in a hospital. i have a few months to gain experience, i'm not going to waste it bumming around. it's frustrating, however, because all the hospital/health related jobs i search for require either some sort of medical degree (of which i obviously do not have) or a few years of experience (except the reason i'm applying is because i have none). i'm a little lost as to how any of these positions ever get filled if no one is given the opportunity to gain the experience the position asks its applicants to have prior to applying. it's an awful catch 22 and i'll be needing some major connections to break through it. but i want this. badly.
5. study for the GRE/GMAT depending on which one i feel most comfortable with and which one the MHA programs i'm looking at want from me
6. check out MHA programs and see if i there's some way i can get in contact with a student who is in the program or an alum of the program. my undergrad grades suck big time, but i think i can help offset some of the bad juju from my GPA with a decent/high standardized exam score. still, i want to apply to a good program and i can't do it without connecting with someone who's gone through it so i gotta work on making connections. my schmoozing skills are at level 1 right now. gotta build that.
7. keep working on my novel, and possibly finish it. no. i will commit. definitely finish it. and edit. oh boy, this is gonna be intense.

can't think of any more right now, it's new year's eve and i really wanna do something before the night is over and the dawn of 2011 is upon us. i can't think of anything, though, so i guess i'll pop some champagne with the fam and get a good rest...

8. make friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment