Sunday, July 22, 2012

day 409: a quinceñera and now it's 5 in the morning

Friends!
So I went to my second quinceñera since being in Perú, and this experience was way different from the last. 

Just a few quick thoughts to jot down before I slam full force into my bed and pass the effffff out (it's seriously 5am right now):

1. We passed by 2 other giant parties on the way to this one. Apparently, a lot of girls are turning 15. For those of you not in the know, La Quinceñera (aka the 15th birthday) is super important (think sweet 16 but more intense and ingrained in a culture) for girls (it's the 18th bday for boys, and it's not as intense). Not only that, the teens I know told me that they were some really popular girls whos parties were tonight. It was going to be parties based on popularity tonight. 

2. The amount of time, money, and energy that is spent on a quinceñera rivals marriages, proms, and every other giant party that I've ever been to that focuses on a woman.

3. I still feel extremely uncomfortable around kids who are drinking, even those at the legal age of 18. Before I passed the pitcher of beer, I asked the kid "how old are you" and only gave it to them if they told me 18. They could have been lying, but then it got picked up by a few of the kids who only passed the beer to those over 18 (idea being: more for us) so that was kind of awesome. Still, lots of smokers and drinkers. Not excessive, but still underage. Too difficult to fight, will have to work to ignore desire to go on an anti-smoking/drinking campaign.

4. For me, more fun than the kids are the adults- especially the parents of the bday girl. The dad was already drunk and ranting about how much he loved me like a daughter and how grateful he was that I was there to do such amazing work for kids like his daughter. The mom invited me to a whole bunch of other ladies who told raunchy jokes and made me join their drinking circle. This was near the end of the festival but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

5. Heels suck but when you finally get one to fit (that was orignally 0.5 a size short) it feels worth the pain

6. It's really difficult to say no to sharing wine with a bunch of people who are members of the bdays family, including her parents. However, their goal is to get smashed and my goal is to get out of there in one piece. Our differences in opinions tend to collide more often on these....

that's all i could think of now. my face is melting off of my skull and is already in a puddle in my bed. The rest of me needs to go catch up. lve you all.

peace and love.
-sue

No comments:

Post a Comment