Friday, June 8, 2012

DAY 365: ONE YEAR IN PERU!!!!

like WOAH.

One year ago, three hundred and sixty five days prior to today, I flew from the history enriched soils of Washington D.C. (or wherever the airport is around there) and landed in the culturally steeped lands of Peru.

HOLY CRAP. That is mad cray cray.

I have a little over a year left of my service as a Peace Corps Volunteer and there are still a JABILLION things I want to do in my site!! I'll be talking to another volunteer to discuss how to bring hydroponic gardening to my lovely little town, I'm hoping to convert this weird empty space in the comedor poluar into a garden with my youth, I'm still teaching english but I kind of want to stop that now cause it's boring as ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuzzballs, I want my grant to go through so I can start pushing my women's nutrition group to start moving, and I need to go yell at my socia some more to get this youth health promoters group up and running cause I want that shiz going NOW. I also just met an english teacher at one of the schools and I'm helping her translate some documents (by documents, I mean research papers that are super interesting but I can understand why she'd get tripped up by the technical language) but she's also expressed interest in incorporating nutritional charlas into her classes so I'm going to be working with her on a curriculum and hopefully I can help her with some teaching practices that expand outside of the usual "copy and paste" method that teachers have going on. Speaking of english teachers, I'm hoping that in 2 or 3 months, I'll be working on a provincial wide english 2 day workshop for teachers to reinforce grammar and pronunciation, as well as teach more dynamic methods of teaching.

Lots of plans, we'll see how they go!
But for one year in service, I'm really happy with what I have done so far! I've made so many connections and I've learned to give up on a few things, like trying to convert my jail into a youth center... that's just not a one person movement but at least I'm working with a man to try and get a youth council in the municipality! Hopefully that gets up and running by the end of this year, and we get some provincial wide youth activities and what nots going.

On top of work, there are even more things that are hardcore FUN.
Liiiiike, I'm still running the half marathon in a month's time (I laughed at myself, a little, when I said 'run'.... more like dance and walk my way across that finish line. Yea, I'm not gonna win and I'm not taking any of this that seriously, but who cares? I'll live the rest of my life knowing I at least completed a half!), I'm going to be rafting down the Amazon River in 3 months time (in Iquitos, where I will also hopefully spot a pink dolphin and do some pirrhana fishing), I'm hoping to traverse through Ecuador sometime around Christmas, and my beautiful friend from back home should hopefully be visiting me next year so we can run around Cuzco and have a mini dance party in Machu Picchu after hiking some of that Incan trail :D

Man.

I love my life.

Seriously. These have got to be some of the greatest years of my life EVER and I'm only 24! Can you imagine what the rest of my life is going to be like?

SO PUMPED FOR MY FUTURE.

AWWWWMAAAAAAAAAAAAN! LIFE IS AWESOME.

Here's to hoping your lives are going as fantastically as my own, and if not? You hold all the power to go ahead and change it, cause life should be a party and you should be loving it. If the party's starting to feel a little stale, get out of there and go get yourself to the next party! I'm already there, dancing on a table top and screaming for another rouuund for the whooooole bar!!

PEACE AND LOVE, ladies and gents, and may the odds be EVER in your favor <3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment