Wednesday, June 6, 2012

day 354: long time, no update like woah

For serious y'all.

Sup.

Sorry about that- It's been nearly a month since my last update, but it's sort of been a cray cray kind of few days. Not like I've been doing much, mind, but just things have been happening!

So, I didn't get the VAC position and losing makes me rather cross, but I did get to go to PSN training where I found out that they actually decided PSN members are not allowed to hold other positions so in reality, things turned out for the best there. (Note: As I wrote that sentence, I just took my shirt off because holy moly christ on a cracker, it's getting weirdly warm again. Weird cause the mornings are much cooler and clouded over, which makes for glorious morning runs but I'll talk about that in a bit).

PSN training was pretty much fanfreakintastic. First and foremost, I got to go to Lima for training and hang out with some of the most amazing people to exist ever. Secondly, PSN (Peer Support Network for those out of the loop) is an organization that exists in maybe 50% of all Peace Corps countries. The idea is to offer a peer to peer support network for volunteers through various means, but it's something that didn't really work in Peru. Our training was a combination of legit training-training (counselor stuff and what not) and recreating the bylaws, basically razing down the old and building up the new. I'm super pumped about the new PSN members and our new goals- they're not this froo froo "love yourself" hippie nonsense that remains on this idealistic intangible plane, but concrete and hands on that require PSN representatives who are actually willing to put in effort and time and energy in this work.

Pumped.

Plus, I got voted as Orientation Leader (lost the position of Coordinator and yea, bitter about that because I seriously HATE losing, but the volunteer who got it was suited way better for the position than I and I am totally going to rock as an O.L.)

On top of that, we just had camp ALMA - an all girls camp focused on leadership and future goal planning for girls who come from sites all over my department. Each volunteer brings a few girls and we spent 3 days visiting universities, getting charlas on women's health, vocational planning, team building, doing arts and crafts, playing fun games, and all in all having a blast. It turned out really great and the girls I brought are still talking about it! Coming up is the all boy's camp VALOR and another volunteer and I have volunteered to spearhead this project. I'm super pumped, even though I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing, but if it's anything like the girls camp, it's going to be a blast!

This weekend is our regional meeting to discuss camp VALOR things and I'm trying to get a few things done before then. This weekend actually also marks my 1 year in Peru! Not in site, but the day I flew from Washington D.C. to Peru to start my life as a Peace Corps Volunteer. The other volunteers in my 17er group and I are going to get together this weekend to celebrate but wow... I can't believe I've been in Peru for a year now.

Insanity.

I'm going to hit the beaches of Mancora in 2 weeks time, up in Piura, just cause I've never been and a few people I know are planning to go. Mancora is infamous. For everything. It's going to be a really great weekend. I don't plan on getting sue crazy but it'll be fun to see some Piura volunteers who happen to be in then! Plus Mancora is beautiful from what I hear.

Whaaat elssssssse... Oh! Running!

So I'm not doing too great. The half marathon is coming up in about a month and I'm still nowhere near able to run 13.1 miles. I still can't figure out how many miles I'm running now, but it's definitely less than 6... I also got really sick when I left Lima and hacking up my insides while running next to giant semis carrying wtf and giant buses definitely going over 90km/h to pass said semis.... I find myself severely demotivated.

On the plus side, I've finished books 1 and 2 of Game of Thrones and am diving right into book 3, even though I'm still stuck on Season 2, episode 6 of the show. Gotta finish that show.

Or rather, I gotta get to work. Some of my projects haven't started yet and they make me want to scream bloody murder at my socios while I chuck things at the wall. But I am a civilized lady and will not do that.

Anywho, gotta get myself motivated and moving forward.
Always forward.

Love and Peace <3

No comments:

Post a Comment