Tuesday, January 17, 2012

day 220: clearing my cluttered brain by actually writing out a schedule

Hello friends!
This is just me writing thoughts floating up in my noggin. Lately, it's gotten pretty cluttered up there so I'm trying to sort a few things out..

The p90x training lasts for 90 days. The Pacasmayo Marathon is July 1st... How am I going to train for this marathon as well as do the p90x program? From what I can tell, I should complete the 12 week p90x program  in April (to be completed April 7, 2012). The running schedule that I want to follow for the half marathon is also a 12 week program... So if I start training for the marathon immediately after I do the p90x, that should mean I can just manage to get the whole training in. However, this program is based on the belief that I have been running 3 miles, at least 3-4 times a week, which won't be true because I'll be doing p90x instead of running (there just isn't time in my day to do both!)... HRM. Whatever, I'll do it anyway. And if I can't run the whole 13.1 miles? Then I'll walk it, damn it.

I WILL COMPLETE THIS HALF MARATHON. No matter what. The end.

Let's seeee, what else, what else.
Oh! I taught my first vacaciones utiles course (think summer school) yesterday and it went super duper! The first class of older students was pretty small, but once I joked around and did my thing, some of them were more inclined to talk and express their opinions (still, it was a mofo trying to get this one girl to participate... she wouldn't even look at me! And she didn't speak at all, even when I tried my darndest to get her to... I'll work on that one. I think I'm going to teach "participation" at some point...). The second class I had were younger (2 grades lower) but there were more of them and these kids were superstars. Still had the group of kids who didn't want to talk, but there's power in numbers and the chatty ones definitely stepped up! I'm going to have to figure out how to draw out the quieter ones and ease the talkative ones down, but wow! Great class! Came out of that one feeling awesome.

I have a meeting coming up with the vacaciones utiles group in my site and I'll be teaching health and nutrition here. Yea, it's a topic I'm rather pumped about but I have no idea how many students will want to go. I'm hoping to give away free stuff every class (for participation, showing up on time, etc, I'm going to let them write their names on tickets and raffle off little things at the end of class) so that'll hopefully draw in a larger crowd. My host mom wants me working with a lawyer here on this, but I don't understand why. We're working on another project together, but it has nothing to do with vacaciones utiles. Weird.

Speaking of that other project, I need to figure out how to talk to the directors of the two high schools that are in my site. We want to start clubs in both (drawing awareness to family and sexual violence, working on projects to prevent it, etc.) and he asked me today if I talked to them. I had no idea that was my job.

Communication around here is getting kind of frustrating.

Anywho, I gotta do that.

Aiya... meetings, meetings, meetings. I still haven't set up my meetings at the benificencia, the health post, the police station, OR with the alcalde.

FAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. It's ok, I'll get on it.

Besides that, guess what I did today?

P90x plyometrics.

And guess what else?

Didn't have to pause the video to suppress a desire to puke.

SUCCESS.

Also, it's so damn hot so I froze some bananas, mashed them up and poured some honey that I bought yesterday (from a lady at the market who had a ginormous slab of honeycomb on hand to show me where honey comes from... then she sold me a recycled plastic soda bottle of honey. It's damn good honey.) and OMG SO GOOD. It was like banana flavored ice cream with delicious chewy honey bits.

I want MOAARRRR but we are out of bananas... I can't decide if I should just go to the market and buy some, or wait until my host mom brings more. Considering how many bananas I've eaten these past few days (my host mom hadn't gone shopping in some time and this was the first time in a week or two that there's been fruit in the house), I should go buy some...

I do have some grapes in the freezer now. Maybe I'll dip those in honey and nom on those tomorrow.

Alright, my windows open cause of the heat but now the bugs have discovered it and I'm being eaten alive. I'll write again later.

Chau amigitos!
Love and Peace <3

2 comments:

  1. man that honey and bananas thing sounds so good. and congrats on not having to puke during p90x. you should post some pics of your progress like sarge did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously delicious. and thanks :P i'm actually enjoying p90x, although i do wish i had a pullup bar to make my workouts a little more intense (i'm using a resistance band at the moment, but i've never been able to do a pullup before and i'd like to practice)

    and i can't post pics of myself, it just feels too odd, lol~ although i'm sure before and after pictures would come in handy to figure out my progress? maybe. we'll see. :P

    ReplyDelete