Sunday, September 25, 2011

day 107: i've never had a sandwich from pacasmayo

Hola damas and caballeros

So I just got back from my first ever regional meeting! yaaay~
Basically, a meeting is held once a month for all the volunteers to discuss things that need discussing. It's not mandatory, but it was nice to see lots of other volunteers, especially those I had never met before. We went afterwards and had fun at a club, dancing and having fun. Also, an apple for breakfast, a diet coke and wafer cookies for lunch, and a bottle of riesling for dinner with a peach cocktail as dessert is NOT a healthy diet. It does, however, make for a rather interesting night... :)

It was, anyway, a seriously nice way to recharge my batteries. I love Perú. I really do. But sometimes, it takes a lot out of me. I had time to run to the store and buy a few necessities (and yes, I do consider a jar of peanut butter and a box of froot loops part of my necessities. I also got Pringles. Shush.) but didn't have time to go visit the music stores and get myself a guitar.

Why?

Because a few volunteers and I wanted to watch some football. I'm not a huge football fan, predominately because I just don't understand it. Rugby is so much better. Still, I appreciate the fans it collects and the general atmosphere that tends to accompany games. We were going to watch it back where my site is, so we got into the bus to take the 2 hour trip back aaannnddd....

We found that the electricity was turned off for the next few hours in the entire city.
Errr... yea.

So football didn't happen, and I'd been craving a sandwich since the day before. I've never eaten in Pacasmayo, however, and didn't know what to do. I walked into a restaurant and stood there for like a minute, unsure of how to proceed. Seriously. I seated myself but wasn't acknowledged so I thought, maybe I should just go up and order something, but go up where? There were waiter walking around and doling out food, but I had no idea who I could talk to. Then I heard a car calling out my destination, so I thought... screw it, and left. I will return again (probably when I'm not burdened with a bag and a suitcase of stuff) and I swear, I will have that sandwich! So anyway, I went back to my house, unpacked my things, and got some work done. I finally gave in and just made myself a handmade agenda. Finding one with enough space for me to write in, but not be a burden to carry around just got to be work that I didn't want to do.

Now I'm trying to figure my next month out, just cause I'm starting to realize that I have more than 1 activity planned for the same day, same hour. 'Cause I'm an idiot and agreed to it. I also have these random notes that I would jot down to remind myself, but the notes no longer make sense.
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHoooooot. That does not bode well.

Anyway, this week I'm going to be talking to the directors of a few schools to pass out my surveys (which I still haven't printed yet. Printing costs are too extreme, I need to rework that) and I'll be helping another volunteer who lives in my province with his project. There're a couple of things I'll just be running around, trying to figure out how to do this week, but until then... I'm going to open up my box of froot loops, have a handful, and then go to bed. I'm exhausted but ready to take on this week! Yay!

Here's to hoping things go well this week... because if they don't, you might want to ignore this blog for a few days because it's going to be ranting and raving. But hopefully not!

Love and Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment